Monday, July 1, 2013

Surgery

Surgery is scheduled for Wednesday July 3.  After going back and forth, and meeting with two surgeons, I've decided on a double mastectomy.  Bummer.  Real big bummer.

Long story short, my surgeon at Group Health recommended that I get a mastectomy based upon my young age and the nasty nature of my cancer.  I met with three doctors at Seattle Cancer Alliance, one of whom was the director of breast cancer surgery department.  He suggested that I get a lumpectomy now, and pending the pathology from my surgery and a BROCA gene panel test, I may get a mastectomy later, or not. After thinking this was the better option, I discussed with my surgeon whether insurance coverage would be available to do this in a two-step process. She didn't think so--that a subsequent mastectomy would not be 'medically necessary'  unless something funky showed up on my pathology or gene panel.  If my pathology and gene panel are clean, I would be stuck with a lumpectomy.  I don't want to close any doors.  I'm not sure how paranoid I would be about the cancer coming back--but frankly, the tumor hid from me the first time around, and I don't feel confident I could find another lump if it came back--whether it were a recurrence of the same cancer, or a new cancer.  So back to mastectomy it is.  I go in sometime on Wednesday, and will come home on the 4th.

I wont be able to lift or carry West (or anything for that matter) for a couple of weeks after surgery. I'll have two or three drains that to deal with for about two weeks also.  Breck is off work for the summer, so he'll be around to help me and the kids.

My pathology results will be in about three working days following surgery.  My pathology results will dictate  my personal prognosis.  I definitely appreciate all of the good vibes, prayers, juju etc. coming my way that the cancer is gone or almost gone.

I will recover for a month, then start radiation.  In a year, I can get reconstructive surgery.  Not sure when that will happen.  I will probably make a decision based upon how I recover from surgery, my pathology report, and my gene panel results.  If something does come up on the BROCA panel, I may need to get my ovaries removed too.

 The Seattle Cancer Alliance also reviewed my pathology and determined that my cancer tested weakly positive for progesterone--in other words, there may be some benefit for me to take endocrine therapy--hormone therapy-- after treatment.  (I was diagnosed with  triple negative cancer, meaning that there were no hormone-positive receptors that would respond to endocrine therapy.  I was told that a cancer with weak progesterone receptors otherwise acts almost identically to a pure triple negative cancer)  It was suggested that I take Tamoxifen for five years.  The side effects of that are on par with menopause--awesome--so I may need to weigh the benefits on that.

An average woman's risk of developing breast cancer over her lifetime is approximately one in 8 (12.5%).  If nothing turns up on the BROCA panel, my risk of developing a new breast cancer is slightly higher-about 16%.  That isn't that high, but hell, I've defied the odds so far.  My stupid insurance denied coverage for this test back in March.  Since then, the Supreme Court held that a patent for testing on a specific gene isn't enforceable.  It will now be more affordable to conduct the testing--and my insurance provider may be more likely to change its mind.    I will appeal that after surgery.

Sooooo....grumble grumble grumble.  On another note, Breck and I went camping with our friends last weekend on the annual rafting trip down the Yakima River.  It was super fun, as always--despite the fact that we received an emergency text about a flash flood warning when we finished the float--oops--but no actual flood.  I have about a million bug bites on my feet too.  good stuff.

That's all for now.

Carrie


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good vibes! Good juju! Good mojo! Good luck!! Love you!

Courtney said...

Sending good thoughts your way!!
-The Eriksen family (Travis, Courtney, Odin, and Taran)

Anonymous said...

I'm 55-year-old from paris, I was diagnosed with second-stage liver cancer following a scheduled examination to monitor liver cirrhosis. I had lost a lot of weight. A CT scan revealed three tumors; one in the center of my liver in damaged tissue and two in healthy portions of my liver. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment was prescribed due to my age, the number of liver tumors. One month following my diagnosis I began taking 12 (350 point) Salvestrol supplements per day, commensurate with my body weight. This comprised six Salvestrol Shield (350 point) capsules and six Salvestrol Gold (350 point) capsules, spread through the day by taking two of each capsule after each main meal. This level of Salvestrol supplementation (4,000 points per day) was maintained for four months. In addition, I began a program of breathing exercises, chi exercises, meditation, stretching and stress avoidance. Due to the variety of conditions that I suffered from, I received ongoing medical examinations. Eleven months after commencing Salvestrol supplementation But all invalid so I keep searching for a herbal cure online that how I came across a testimony appreciating Dr Itua on how he cured her HIV/Herpes, I contacted him through email he listed above, Dr Itua sent me his herbal medicine for cancer to drink for two weeks to cure I paid him for the delivering then I received my herbal medicine and drank it for two weeks and I was cured until now I'm all clear of cancer, I will advise you to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. WhatsApps Number...+2348149277967. If you are suffering from Diseases listed below, Cancer, HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Colon-Rectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,
?Esophageal cancer,?Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,?Hodgkin lymphoma
?Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,?Multiple myeloma,?Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,?Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,?Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,?Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,?Vulvar cancer,Hepatitis, Chronic Illness. Lupus,Fibromyalgia.