Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Buh-Buh-Buh-BOOYA!

So I got my pathology report back.  I also saw the surgeon today who explained what it meant.  Two main points:

1)   NO RESIDUAL INVASIVE TUMOR IDENTIFIED.
2)  AXILLARY LYMPH NODE STATUS: TWENTY TWO AXILLARY LYMPH NODES, NEGATIVE FOR MALIGNANCY (0/22)

Say what?  That means the chemo got all of the invasive cancer (more on that later).  I had a complete response.

Please indulge me.  This deserves some background music.  Click on the link below.


http://youtu.be/Dft63gHqqKo


Why is this significant?  Let me back up. The 5-year survival rate for stage 3A breast cancer is about 60-65%.  Yuck!  The 5-year survival rate for someone with a complete response to chemo is 85-90%.

That pathology report did identify some residual DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ--Stage 0 Cancer).  I guess chemo doesn't really work on that, and the course of action is to just remove it.  Done and done.  The DCIS was negligible, and doesn't affect my prognosis.


This is the result that I have been dreaming about, scouring the Internet for any data or possible treatment that improves the chances.   Only about 20% of people have a complete response.  This is why I have been closely monitoring my nutrition, juicing, taking supplements, hanging out with my naturopath oncologist, and avoiding the bad stuff that I used to regularly indulge in.  All for the hopes of a complete response.  YEA! YEA! YEA!  Although academically, a 65% chance of survival doesn't sound that bad....applying it to your own life...it's beyond awful.  Although I tried so very hard to keep my spirits up, passing thoughts of my kids growing up without a mother, Breck left to raise them, my parents growing old without their only child to take care of them, and so on, sent me into panic attacks.   Eek.

And while I'd love to celebrate to the max tonight, I am still hopped up on Vicodin, and recovering from surgery--so I guess I'll take it easy.  If you get the chance, give my family and my wonderful husband a high five.  They deserve it.  This has been so hard on them too.

Love,

Cancer-free Carrie







3 comments:

Wendy said...

From Sad Panda to Cancer Free Carrie.

CFC's being eradicated from the ozone to make room for the AWESOME new CFC. The acronym takes on a whole new meaning. Three cheers to all of you.

Unknown said...

Carrie! I don't think you really know me, but I know Breck through the olden days of The Nevvers posse (my name is Charra, used to play in Por Libra and now in Crown Aruba). My sister just went through TNBC last year and she had a complete response as well. I am so, SO happy for you! What a huge sigh of relief. Sorry to butt in...I was shocked to find someone in my general cohort going though the same ordeal as my sis. I am thrilled, for you all!, at your success!

Unknown said...

Hi Carrie and Breck - blessings to you and your family. It was nice seeing you opening weekend at the pool. :) I just read your "latest". Not sure if you remember me sharing my Sister went through breast cancer (stage 4) 3 years ago then last year was treated for bone cancer in her spine. Was wondering if the "gamma knife" is the same treatment my Sister had "cyber knife" in addition to her surgery to remover her bone cancer. She is now awaiting something new that just popped up after a year of being clean. A "hot spot" popped up on some kind of scan under her breast plate will be tested shortly (in her lymph node there). Praying nothing. Anyway, just wanted to share her case sounds similar to yours - cancer is popping up after treatments but just keep FIGHTING, as it sounds like you are. I'll keep your beautiful family in my prayers. Take care :)