Friday, September 12, 2014

Now what?


In February 2013 I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer.  Triple Negative Breast Cancer, a rare and aggressive form.  I had full scans, and the doctors told me that the cancer was only seen in my breast and some armpit lymph nodes.  I did chemo.  It killed it.  I did radiation.  The doctors said that I had an excellent chance of surviving.  Most likely, I'd get this behind me, grow back my hair, and get back to life.

In July/August 2014, I started to notice that I was having a hard time articulating words.  I had no prior issues, and thought maybe I was overtired.  I went to the doctor.  I had extremely high blood pressure.  I was sent to the ER for a CT scan.  The scans revealed that the cancer metastasized to my brain.  There are 5 tumors.  Ahhhhhh fuck.

I started whole brain radiation right away for about 5 weeks,  My doctors are working together to figure out my treatment plan.  Brain tumors are tricky things.  My pet scan did not indicate any other cancer, which is a very good thing.

The doctors haven't given us much specific information regarding my prognosis or what exactly I will expect.  I understand why.  Each case is very different, and I would rather grab onto whatever hope I can extrapolate from the doctors' ambiguous statements.  There may be options down the road to participate in a trial.

When I first started radiation, I was given steroids to reduce the swelling in my brain (caused by the radiation and the tumors themselves). I am out of it, but I've been told this will get better as my brain starts to shrink from the radiation.  My hair is falling out.  It will all fall out, and it will take a while to grow back.  After radiation is completed, I will wait another 4-6 weeks prior to getting another MRI.  The doctors will then determine how I respond to the radiation and how the tumors react.

I am taking cannabis oil (Simpson/Dama Oil).  There is all of this information online about how cannabis kills cancer.  Unfortunately the information is difficult to ascertain or even locate.  I've been taking high CBD (cannaboids) oil several times per day; it's not supposed to make one stoned...I'm working on increasing my dosage.  If you have any experience or know others who have taken the Simpson Oil, I would be interested to know more.

So yeah....it's absolutely amazing how life can just change like that.  I was okay.  I'm not okay now.  What do I do?  I fucking fight.  I fight for Astrid.  I fight for June.  I fight for West.  I fight for my husband and my parents and my family.  I fucking fight for myself.  And I fight for every single day I can get with my kids.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Carrie,

I'm Olivia's Mom, Amanda. Astrid's friend (Olivia). I met you last summer at Olympic View pool and mentioned my Sister going through stage 3D breast cancer. We didn't know if hers metastasized. We found out this July it did. She's being treated for a bone cancer for a tumor on her spine. It's been very painful for her the last couple months. The area of the tumor has collapsed just recently. But she's hanging in there with a cyber knife radiology treatment. Not needing chemo right now. She has 12 and 17 y/o daughters, fighting like you. Just wanted to drop a note that I've just read this news of your situation through Breck's Facebook page (friends from inviting Astrid to Olivia's birthday party last year). I'm so sorry you have to fight again, as my Sister is needing to again as well. I'll be praying. Stay strong. You can kick it again. I believe God chooses the strongest to fight the hardest battles. I don't know why and it's not fair.

Take care,
Amanda

Siamak said...

Hey - Here's a link to an conference in L.A. on 'Outsmarting Brain Tumors' This was something I sent this to Carrie several weeks ago--and I had a former student who was attending this--but no response yet from him. I wonder if you guys might want to see if your researcher guy can make some inquiries into this and glean something new that might be of use. Thinking of you all.

Siamak

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=nz9c5nhab&oeidk=a07e9lhpcbz0a3e9df3

Unknown said...

Hey Carrie. I know you have some downtime again, and that those hours can get long. So Alexis had a great idea about sharing the things that I personally enjoyed doing while stuck in the house: catching up on my video games (there are soothing ones like Flower, or faster paced ones that can help release some frustration), reading, playing card/board games, catching up on movies, having time to chat (in person or on the phone) with friends and family, napping in a pool of sunlight, kicking back and enjoying some music, and yoga or meditation/deep breathing. I probably should have taken up something a little more productive, like knitting, but those are some of the things I found to fill my day, and just paying attention to all of the wonderful people in my life. Thinking of you and hoping you are finding comfort in the little things. Melissa

Unknown said...

Of course you do! Fight that is. We know from first hand experience that this is tough stuff. But not without real hope.
As you will recall, your aunt Martha was diagnosed with stage III-C Ovarian cancer 6 yrs ago. And learned that 10% survive 5 yrs with this diagnosis. She just celebrated her 62nd b-day, and is starting yr. 7. Not that it has been easy or cancer free (2 major surgeries and 3 rounds of nasty chemo), but she is not only surviving, but doing great.
There have been times when it was very discouraging, but like you, she did not stay in the dark place, but figured out what she had to do to fight.
We are keenly aware that life can change in an instant and there are no certainties. It is clear that women in your family have amazing strength and courage to not only fight, but beat the crappy statistics.
We think about you everyday and while we are scared for you, we are full of optimism as well.

Unknown said...

Carrie you are one tough lady! Wake up, kick ass and repeat...

Sending lots of love and prayers from Alaska.

Unknown said...

Hi Carrie: My new oncologist recommended that you look into a new drug that I think is still in trials called Etirinotecan, which she said is one of the few/only? drugs for metastesized breast cancer that can make it through the blood-brain barrier. You might want to ask your doctors if that is something right for you: http://www.nektar.com/product_pipeline/oncology_nktr-102.html

Love, Mel