Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Nutrition

I went to see a naturopathic oncologist today.  My insurance will cover three visits per year per diagnosis.  Cancer is one diagnosis, but others can be dietary deficiency, weight loss, etc., so I should be able to see him more than three times.  Anyhow, it was very helpful.  He went through what I should be eating--very important, yet under emphasized by my oncologist.  At the bottom of this post, I included the first page of his recommendations.  These are guidelines for healthy eating for anyone, not just cancer patients.  He emphasized the importance of obtaining a wide variety of nutrients from the foods I eat.  In the past, (at least a portion) my diet was likely somewhat nutrient deficient.

I need to treat dairy as a condiment.  I can still have it, but in small quantities.  The doctor told me that dairy can cause inflammation and digestive issues.  Adults are really not designed to consume a lot of dairy.  That makes sense.  I need to stay away completely from processed meats, and only eat meat in its 'recognizable' form.  No farmed fish (duh). Sugar feeds cancer.  Refined carbs turn into sugar and therefore must be avoided altogether.  

Thanks to my aunt Martha, an ovarian cancer survivor, since my diagnosis, I have been eating pretty much along these lines already .  Martha has done exceptionally well, and attributes a great deal of her success to her persistent diet and exercise.  I intend to follow suit.

The doctor also told me that exercise and being a healthy weight drastically reduce the risk of re-occurrence of cancer.  I need to work on the latter, ahem, but it's totally doable.  I think all of these changes will be challenging.  My motivation is great.  The MRI and PET scan disclosed that the cancer has spread to more than three, but less than nine of the lymph nodes in my armpit.  That stages my cancer as 3A.  That means it's advanced.  Scary scary scary--but it can be beat.  Years ahead, my skinny, healthy body will be thankful for this wake-up call.

Chemo again on Friday.  Whoop.

Thank you everyone for your continuing support!  I have heard rumblings of wanting to make meals, and now I have some guidelines.  At the same time, I don't expect my kids, or even Breck, to stick to this.  I can probably handle my own meals, and we would welcome (healthy, but not Nazi healthy) meals for Breck and the girls.  But certainly, if you are itching to help, we are very thankful for your help.

Carrie






No comments: